Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Other Talk (A Guide to Talking with Your Adult Children About the Rest of Your Life) --Author -- Tim Prosch (review)


Disclosure: I read the book and information from McGraw Hill  and AARP in order to facilitate my review, and the opinions expressed are my own.


Again, I have been blessed with reading a very interesting and informative book! Tim Prosch talks about the other talk that parents have with their children. The first talk is the sex talk, and the "other" talk is the one where parents discuss with their adult children about what they have planned/want to do with the rest of their lives. In his book, he discusses what he went through with his grandfather before he died, then we segway into his parents' lives as they develop illnesses and go through changes. He talks about what he and his siblings went through with his parents as they tried to handle things across the country for Mom and Dad. Not easy. 

One thing that I took away from this book is the list of documents that you needed and getting them in order, something that I discussed with my father about a month ago (and it didn't go too well!).  The Parent needs to have a few things in their information notebook: the will or trust, medical information ---DNR, durable healthcare power of attorney (who's going to be responsible for making your healthcare decisions when you are unable), living will, doctors, financial information, key documents, insurance information and where to find it, tax returns, banking information, proofs of Ownership, Investment/Pension/loan information, credit card information, valuable items info, and burial/funeral information. There is a lot more to this book than I could even begin to tell you, and I finished the book with still questions that I will have to find out answers for.  Tim includes questions and concerns from study groups in the book, and I learned from those, too. I do know that when the time comes for Steve and I to discuss with Steven when the time comes years from now---he's only 15 years old, I will pull the book out for guidance on what to go over with him.  I really found this book to be quite informative and interesting!


(Barb's note:  Please bear in mind that I am in the sandwich generation, and though my father doesn't live with me, I try to keep an eye or ear on him. I am also a member of AARP, being old enough to join---age 51. Also being in the healthcare profession as a RN in a long term care/skilled nursing facility, I have some insight into what goes one when one has to transition from living at their own home or apartment and can no longer take care of themselves. This is part of what he was talking about, whether the parent(s) stay(s) in their own home with 24 hour care or more into assisted living or a nursing home, or do they come and live with the children.)
Post a Comment