Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

"Raising My Rainbow" by Lori Duron (Book Review)


Disclosure: I was given a free book from  ReadItForward.com, and I wanted to review it. The opinions expressed about the book in the review are my own.


I happened to receive this book from ReadItForward.com, and at first when I entered to get the book, I wasn't totally sure what the book was about. Now that I've received the book and read it, I totally understand it, and I wanted to review it on the blog. (If you start to read my post today and realize that the book is about a topic that you don't want to read about, then skip this post.  If you don't mind, then please read on.) At the beginning of the book was a forward by Neil Patrick Harris and his significant other David Burtka. They mentioned in it about reading Lori's blog, out of curiosity at first. They continued to read it! I took the book with me at first to doctors' appointments to read, and the further I got into the book, the harder it was to put down! Here I am, telling you already that I enjoyed the book! And before you ask, my son is NOT gender creative! 


As the book begins, Lori happens to run across a Barbie in a box in her closet, and CJ wanted to open the box. She ended up letting him, and he was playing with it when his father Matt came home from work. Oh boy! Matt was not thrilled at all, and he had a talk with Lori after CJ and Chase (CJ 's older brother) went to bed. CJ playing with the Barbie reminded Lori of her brother Michael when they were growing up, and Michael was gay. CJ continued to play with Barbies and began to want to wear his hair longer and wear girl's clothes at some point. They tried to keep the Barbies at home and the dressing in girls' clothes at home, but somewhere along the way, he started wanting to wear them and bring the toys with him in public.  I'm afraid to give too much away of the book, but I will tell you that there was a positive ending. It's taken me a few days to post this review due to being sick. The day that i started this post, I happened to get a post in my e-mail from Lori's blog!
For further information on her book and her blog, go to Raising My Rainbow .
Post a Comment