Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

You Be Sweet: Sharing your Heart One Down-Home Dessert at a Time with Recipes by Patsy Caldwell and stories by Amy Lyles Wilson


Disclosure: I was given the e-book by BookSneeze in order to facilitate my review, and the opinions expressed are my own. Seriously, honest is everything!

(Barb's Note: I lived in the South, in Tennessee and in Mississippi, from 1966 through 1975. Those 9 years were enough to get to know about the Southern lifestyle, in my mind, until I read this book! 9 years as a youngster are not enough to get to know about the Southern cooking and baking! )

From the moment I started reading this book, I not only read recipes, but saw photographs of the desserts in some of the recipes! But that's not all! There were quaint stories where you were able to read about people in the town, and you came away from the story knowing quite a bit about them, such as Aunt Carlisle, Rosemary and her daughter Georgia (a chapter had to do with Rosemary teaching Georgia how to bake    at the retirement home that Rosemary lived at), and the very single Reverend Daniel Boydston moving to Luckettville to have a parish at All Souls Chapel. With each chapter you have incredibly interesting stories about people, the desserts made in the story and then more, and the pictures of the desserts. Two of the dessert recipes that stand out in my mind at the moment are the red velvet cheesecake (maybe it's because I'd never heard of it till I read the book!) and the Peach-Coconut Upside-Down Cake! It's not just baked goods, there's also punch, Popsicles, jam, peach tea, dips, buckeyes, and fondues! "You be sweet" was what Patsy Caldwell heard from her mother Irene Foster when she was growing up, and the phrase was in the introduction for the book as well as the focus of the book. It was a delightful read of about 360 pages, and contained a contents section and an index in the back.

Yes, I recommend it, I loved it! Will I make some of the desserts? Probably, though I'm watching my sugar intake nowadays. many of the recipes can be made for baby showers, gatherings, BBQ, and really anytime you feel like it!!
Post a Comment