Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

"A Hero's Throne" by Ross Lawhead (Review)

Disclosure: I was given the book by BookSneeze in order to facilitate my review, and the opinions expressed were my own!

I reviewed the first book of Ross Lawhead's The Ancient Earth Trilogy in the past two years, it was "The Realms Thereunder".  I was lucky to get the opportunity to read the second book in his trilogy recently called "A Hero's Throne". Until I read this book, I did not know that Ross was the son of Stephen Lawhead, another author whose audio book I had also reviewed. That was quite interesting to know, and they both write fantasy fiction. Anyhow, back to Ross' 2nd book in this series... it's about 320 pages long, but you don't realize it when you are so absorbed in the book! (I was taking it with me to appointments, and got totally immersed in it each time I picked it back up!)

As the second book starts, Daniel and Freya gather with a few other people, and go through the portals back into the land of Nidergeard. Things have changed a lot since they left Nidergeard eight years ago, and now their help is needed. The dark forces have taken over, and the sleeping knights and others are being killed. Daniel and Freya get involved in different areas, in helping rally the remaining people into action to save Nidergeard. Something happens to Daniel along the journey in the other realm, but I don't want to divulge too much. Freya helps to awaken Modwyn, after removing a sword from her chest.  Children in in our realm are being taken, through various ways, by selkies, giants, and mermaids into the other world. These children are what we'd probably call outcasts, or those who wouldn't be missed if they were to disappear. I was somewhat confused at first why these children and teens were disappearing. That kind of creeped me a bit, until towards the end of the book.  I don't want to give too much away about the book, hoping that you'll read it! I'm definitely looking forward to reading the third book in the trilogy! I seriously recommend the book if you are into fantasy fiction, and suggest that you start out with the first book!


Post a Comment