Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Son's got knee troubles again

I mentioned during last summer that Steven had surgery on his right knee. Well, last week, he kept asking me, "Mom, will you schedule me a doctor's appointment? My left knee's hurting." And, over the weekend, he continued to ask me again, "schedule me an appointment this week, Mom, please?" I called Monday, and got him an appointment set up for Tuesday morning. I took him to the orthodontist early Tuesday morning, and we set up for him to get braces put on during Spring Break in March. Mid-morning, we ended up at the pediatrician's office. After reviewing his symptoms and the length of time that he's had them ---since around his 13th birthday in December, she decided to order a MRI of the left knee and wanted him to go to the orthopedic surgeon he went to last summer.

As of yesterday afternoon, I got the MRI scheduled for early Monday morning the 6th, and the surgeon appointment on the 10th (before my Rheumatologist appt). I did let him stay home the rest of day from school, since he had some of his homework with him and I knew that his knee needed the rest. I got blessed with driving him to school this morning! He wanted to stop by 7-11 for a donut, so we drove by one on the way to school, plus, he beat the school bus to school this morning! We're hoping that he won't have to have an arthroscopy, but we do have a feeling that it will happen. His pediatrician mentioned that she thought that it was a ligament issue. Well, he's got his parents' knees!

2 comments:

CourtneyJo of The Everything Soap Blog said...

Awwwwwww...I'm so sorry! I can't believe he's having knee trouble so early. My sister has a bum knee too. It started when she was 12! Can' you believe that people can start falling apart so early. She has to be really careful.

P.S. I thought of you and tagged you in a blog game post today. Please don't feel obligated to play. I never usually do, but had a free day when my computer went on the fritz. Just wanted to pass on the info!

Barb said...

Thanks, lady! This is two for him in less than 1 year. I'm a bit worried about what we'll find out, and even Steven's anticipating another arthoscopy. My poor buddy!
Thanks about the blog post game, I'll have to see what you're talking about!