Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Book Review: "Expresso for Your Spirit: Hope and Humor for Pooped-Out Parents by Pam Vredevelt

As parents of an almost teenager, we have definitely found that parenting is not easy and can be overwhelming at times! "Expresso for Your Spirit"'s author Pam Vredevelt talked of the struggles that parents go through and of the tears that are shed. The "expresso" that she mentioned in the book was encouragement for parents to continue on, though the energy may be gone and the mind may be weary.
I liked that she talked about her son Nathan, who has  Down's Syndrome, off and on throughout the book, and the challenges that she went through as parent with him.  I don't want to give too many details away, but I liked the airplane trip and the not-so-friendly woman in the seat near them!

The stories varied, from children having a hard time with a bully, and the son and mom discussing the problem and the boy becoming great friends with him, to another boy losing his best friend moving away and seeing him again years later.  There were stories with daughters, too, and though I don't have a daughter, I could relate to some of them! It really didn't matter what age the child was or whether or not the parent was married or single, there was hope and encouragement throughout the book. My "expresso" was reading the bible verses and the cute quotes or comments! It was a thoroughly delightful read, and once I sat down to read it, I was able to read it in an afternoon. I need to mention that there were questions in the back of the book, for a book group to go over together. I highly recommend this book!  I loved it!

BARB

Disclosure: I was given an E-copy of the book by Blogging for Books in order to facilitate my review. the opinions expressed were my own.
Post a Comment