Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: The Chocolate Diaries by Karen Scalf Linamen

Have you ever found a book, other than a cookbook, that combined advice about life and chocolate together? That book is The Chocolate Diaries: Secrets for a Sweeter Journey on the Rocky Road of Life, by Karen Scalf Linamen! Throughout this book  Karen combines stories about situations and people who she knows or who have written to her with recipes made with chocolate.  There was a story about a blind man named Erik Weihenmayer who reached the summit of the world's highest peak, Mount Everest. He didn't let blindness stop him from doing things! How awesome! from Karen's book, "And it all began when Erik made the choice to let go of his vision for a life of fitting in and being normal. When he finally let go of ordinary, he was able to grasp with both hands a new vision that was nothing less than extraordinary." Each chapter had little morsels of food for thought, and they were really quite helpful!
Here's one of the food for thought: "Think about a time when the right person or people showed up just when you needed them most. Have you ever been that person for someone else?" I really like that!!



My thoughts on the book... when have I not liked a book that I've reviewed in the past year? This book was awesome! It took me a little while to read it, since I started reading it after my first foot surgery this summer. Every time I picked it up to read it, I learned more things on how cope with the rocky roads in my life. I did like the recipes, too, and will have to make some of them sometime! It is written by a Christian author, and she does place a few bible verses in here and there. It was definitely an easy read, and thoroughly enjoyable. I do recommend this book very highly!
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

BARB
Post a Comment