Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Another busy week!

Steven had his right knee arthroscopy very early Tuesday morning! (We should be used to getting up early for surgeries this summer! HA!) We got to the outpatient surgery area of the hospital that he was having his arthroscopy at 6:30a.m.  They got him ready, asking a few questions and having him change into a hospital gown.( I had to laugh a little, when my boy came to the restroom door with his gown on backwards, with the ties in the front! I asked him if he wanted me to come in and help him, and he said sure. ) They got the IV in on the first start, and I was so happy----the nurse in me was kicking in! By 7:30 a.m., we had seen the anesthesiologist, the operating room nurse, the nurse anesthetist, and his orthopedic surgeon.  He was out of surgery and in the recovery room around 8 a.m. or thereabouts. The doctor told us that he had done well, and that he had trimmed son's meniscus and had removed a piece of foreign body (probably part of the meniscus) floating around in the fluid near his kneecap.

I took him home around 9:30 a.m. by myself from the hospital. (My husband had gone to have a MRI of his left knee before son was able to leave the hospital, and then he headed to work.) We initially used son's crutches for mobility around the house, then it got to the point that it was easier to help him get up to the bathroom with him using my walker (the one that I got post-op for my foot surgeries!). Steven found out that it was much easier to use, and it gave him some stability! I'm glad that it was useful! He had to be by himself for only 30 minutes, during which I ran out to get his pain pills for him. I spent most of Tuesday getting him ice packs and fluids and pain pills when he needed them. It was one of those times in a parent's life that you'd rather take the pain that to let your child go through it. On a pain scale that day, his stayed around an "8", on a scale of 0 to 10.  My father came over to visit and to check on his grandson.

Wednesday was a bit more of a needy day, till his friend came down to visit. Then, it was more of "Mom, Can you bring me a glass of water?" Can you do this....?" "Can you do that...?" Today, he's been more mobile, and in less pain, more like a "5" on the pain scale. The smart mouth is coming back, and I'd rather have him in the "needy" phase again! I went to the podiatrist this afternoon, and I've got another 3 weeks in which to recuperate. I'm to start wearing my Ascics or something like it , an hour on the first day, two on the second day, slowly increasing to where I'm wearing it or another shoe as I normally would. The pain's still in the toe, but it's healing pain. I'd take a pic, but not sure if I could avoid taking a pic of the peeling skin on it! Tomorrow afternoon Steven will have his first physical therapy appointment, and it will be with the same group that we (Steve and I) went to before.
I will hopefully get into some blog hopping this weekend!!

BARB
Post a Comment