Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Michael Franti & Spearhead: The Sound of Sunshine (CD REVIEW)

I can honestly say that I keep getting the awesome opportunity to review some great music artists' albums these days! Michael Franti and Spearhead's "The Sound of Sunshine" definitely fits that category of great music, even though I don't usually listen to the type of music he plays!! Let me tell you a bit about Michael!

Michael was born to an Irish-German-French mother and an African American and American Indian father in Oakland, then he was adopted by a Finnish American couple who raised him along with their 3 biological  children and an another African American son. He formed a punk band called The Beatnigs while he was studying at the University of San Francisco, and then later formed the more hip hop-inflected
The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy. He formed Spearhead in the mid-90's.  Their 2008 album, All Rebel Rockers, became the biggest hit of Michael's carreer, hitting the Top 40 on the Billboard 200, and yielded his biggest hit, the Top 20 "Say Hey (I Love You)." He wrote "The Sound of Sunshine" while he was in the hospital recuperating from a ruptured appendix that had occurred while he was on tour. A very happy song came from that dark time.


He wants The Sound of Sunshine to communicate a sense of hope and possibility to anyone who needs it.
Some others facts about Michael, he's into yoga and co-created Stay Human, an organic line of apparel and gear, and Soulshine Bali, a yoga retreat.  He seems to like to go barefoot, from wheat I read!  He's involved in CARE, Soles4Souls, and many more other organizations. From his site, I got a sense of how he feels about adoption, and it was awesome. His adoptive mother and brothers were in the video on his site.  I loved a few of the quotes from his site from groups who have reviewed his music, and I'm listing a couple of them!
“A feel-good musical pastiche blending hip-hop, reggae, funk, R&B, disco and Franti's
uplifting messages.” – Dallas Morning News, September 20


“Summer's gone, but the buoyant vibe to The Sound of Sunshine extends year-round.”
– Austin Chronicle, September 24



 and one more....
“A joyous celebration of life.” – Arizona Daily Star, September 23


NOW if those quotes don't get your attention, I'd be surprised!


I liked ALL of the songs, and everytime that I listened to them, my yellow-collar mini-macaw was trying to make cute noises to the music!!!  The first song, "The Sound of Sunshine" is very peppy, and it makes you want to bop  or dance to it. "I'll Be Waiting", I like when he sings the line," "whenever you call me, whenever you need me". These were my top two favorites out of the cd, though I liked all of the songs!!!
I wish that I could have danced around the house to the music, but due to the surgeries on both feet, not possible!!) I could imagine going to a concert of his, with all of the people getting into the music! FUN!


Here's a few links to check out more about Michael Franti and Spearhead!!!


Michael Franti
Information about his music, tour dates, store, and news can be found there!


Follow Michael on Twitter!


Michael on Facebook

And one more, check out his music on YOUTUBE

You can also check the sponsor of my review on Twitter and on Facebook.

BARB

Disclosure: I was given a copy of the CD to facilitate my review from EMI via Child's Play The Communications.  The opinions expressed were my own!







Post a Comment